Here is a simple recipe for making amazing bread. This takes some time to ferment…but results are worth the wait.
Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread-Pullman Loaf
Author: Chef Keith Snow
Recipe type: bread
- 26 oz bread flour
- 8 oz whole wheat flour
- 4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 24 oz warm purified water
- In a large bowl add all ingredients....mix for 2 minutes using a wooden spoon or danish hook or your hands. Be sure no flour remains on the bottom or sides.
- Cover and let ferment in warm place for 12-20 hours. Longer ferments are more "old world" in flavor, more sour and bubbly. Also more sticky and wet feeling.
- After bread dough ferments turn out onto well floured surface. Form into basic rectangle, then roll it over and seal three times. Watch video.
- Place shaped dough into pullman loaf pan with lid almost all the way on.....let rise one hour....but after 25 minutes, preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Once oven is hot and bread has risen to at least ¾ of inch to the top close the pullman loaf and bake for 45 minutes. Remove lid and cook another 10 minutes.
- Turn completed bread out onto cooling rack. Allow to cool at least 2 hours before cutting.
- Chef's Note: Although it will be crisp on the outside, depending on current humidity levels it will soften some. I store it in the pullman pan.