Looking for zucchini recipes kids love? This baked zucchini gratin recipe is a great way for children to include vegetables into their diets.
8 each Zucchini, medium in size about 8 inches in length
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1-1/2 cups Organic whole milk, warm
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup Gruyere Cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Onion, chopped
1 clove Garlic, chopped
1 cup Panko
3 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. First, slice the zucchini in 1/2 inch pieces. Lay them flat on a sheet tray lined with paper towels. Pour the two tablespoons of Kosher salt Equally over both sides of the zucchini.
2. Set the zucchini aside and let it purge it’s liquid. About one hour. After one hour, rinse and pat dry the zucchini. Set aside to use latter.
3. In a medium size sauce pan, melt the butter and cook the garlic and onions for about five minutes.
4. Add the worcestershire sauce and flour. Continue to cook over medium heat for two minutes.
5. While wisking pour the milk into the flour and cook for another two minutes.
6. Add the Gruyere cheese while stirring. Cook for one minute only, do not let the sauce boil, set it aside. Season with salt and pepper.
7. In a small bowl mix the olive oil, Panko and parsley season to taste.
8. Assemble; In a two quart casserole place a little cheese sauce on the bottom. Place a layer of the zucchini, then top that with more cheese sauce and repeat as necessary, making sure that the top layer is cheese sauce.
9. Place the casserole in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 15 minutes.
10. Remove the casserole and top with the bread crumb mixture. Now cook for another five minutes. remove from the oven and let rest for five minutes.
11. Plate and serve.