Cream of Tomato Soup
Basic tomato soup recipe that can be made in under 20 minutes, perfect to dip a grilled cheese sandwich in.
- 1 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes of good quality imported or organic if possible
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 of 1 shallot onion minced
- 2 tablespoon AP flour all purpose
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh Tarragon or fresh basil never dried
- water on hand to adjust consistency if needed
In a heavy bottomed pot, over medium high heat, add olive oil and saute onion, for a minute or so, do not brown.
Add flour and stir to combine, cook for 1 minute
Add tomatoes, cream and tarragon, bring to simmer, season with salt and pepper then puree with a stick blender or blender being very careful, if desired.
Season with salt and pepper
Serve with a good grilled cheese on whole wheat bread. (3 grams fiber minimum)