This is my version of vegetarian split pea soup, one that does not include ham or bacon like most split pea soups do. This soup recipe is very easy but does take at least 50 minutes of cooking time; lest you use a pressure cooker.
- 3 tbs evoo
- 2 large organic carrots, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 large stalks organic celery, diced
- ½ tsp Harvest Eating Northern Italian Seasoning-look in our store!
- 1 lb green split peas
- 1 quart high quality chicken stock
- 1 quart purified water (no chlorine please )
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Place a large pot with tight fitting lid over medium high heat, add oil, and vegetables
- Cook stirring often until veggies start to take on some color, season with salt and pepper and Italian seasoning
- Add split peas, water, chicken stock and cover, reduce heat to low (be sure it's simmering) and cook until peas are super tender about 50 minutes.
- Puree soup with immersion blender or Vitamix until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning....serve in bowl and garnish with croutons, parmesan cheese and a few drizzled of olive oil.
Split pea soup is perfect for a chilly winter night, and can be rather festive due to it’s green color. The green color can be enhanced by the addition of some cooked baby spinach.