[private]Created by: Chef Keith Snow
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Recommended Beverage: Merlot
Lean ground Turkey is a very versatile ingredient and this recipe is just one example. In Italy ground veal is used to make the ravioli. We use lean turkey and the outcome is spectacular. Share the preparing of the ravioli with friends and family and don’t forget to make extra and freeze them.
2 lbs lean ground turkey
1/2 cup white onions chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 cup fresh tomato chopped
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
1 medium bay leaf
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tbs fresh basil chopped
1 tsp fresh oregano chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
1. In a large pan, Heat the olive oil and brown the ground turkey over medium low heat and then add the onions, garlic and bay leaf.
2. Allow the onions to cook until soft. Add the remaining ingredients adding the bread crumb a small amount at a time to form a loose filling.
3. Set this aside to cool.
4. To assemble: Place one tablespoons of the filling in a 3×3 inch square piece of spinach pasta and brush edges with egg-wash and top with another 3×3 inch square of pasta. Make sure to purge the ravioli of air by placing it between your hands and gently compress the air out.
5. Now the ravels are ready to cook. Place a few of the ravels in a large pot of boiling salted water. Cook for about three minutes and remove and place them in a bowl of ice water. Repeat this process. Tip: Do not place too many ravioli in the water at one time. The water should never stop boiling.
6. Top with tomato sauce and serve.
Chef’s Notes: If you are making some to freeze, omit step #5 and place them on a parchment lined sheet pan in a single layer. Place the pan in the freezer until they are solid. Remove them from the pan and place in airtight freezer bags and cook as in step #5 when ever you like.[/private]