Created by: Chef Keith Snow
Learn how to make a tangy Mexican tortilla soup with homemade tortilla chips, crema, cilantro, and avocado
3 tablespoons pure or light olive oil
1/2 cup onion minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoons tomato paste
2 whole dried pasilla chili’s, seeds removed
1 chipotle pepper, minced
4 tablespoons cilantro minced
4 cups organic chicken broth
1/4 cup avocado, diced
1 1/2 cup tortilla strips or chips, fried
kosher salt to taste
black pepper to taste
1. In a saucepot or deep skillet add oil, onions, garlic. Sweat them for 2 minutes.
2. Add tomato paste, cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add chipotle and pasilla peppers.
4. Add chicken broth, stir well and season with salt and pepper.
5. Bring to simmer, cook for 5 minutes.
6. Place tortilla strips in a serving bowl. Add soup. Top with crema, avocado and fresh cilantro.
Chef’s Note: Crema can be made by thinning sour cream with a few tbs of half-n-half. Other dried chilis can be substituted for the Pasilla.