Created by: Chef Keith Snow
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Learn how easy it is to make tortillas at home. The difference in taste is also something that will have you making them.
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tbs kosher salt
6 tbs lard or shortening
3 cups hot water
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, and lard. Stir to distribute lard through the flour.
2. Add the water a little at a time and stir through to start forming the dough, being careful not to over-mix.
3. Dump the dough out onto a work surface and, with your hands, begin working the dough into a ball. Work it until it becomes smoother on the outside.
4. Break off small palm-sized pieces and roll them into balls.
5. Let them rest on a tray in or out of the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
6. On a floured board, roll each ball out into a round tortilla shape. Cook them on a dry nonstick griddle or in a nonstick or cast iron pan until brown.