Carolina BBQ smoked chicken
- 1 whole chicken rinsed and dried
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup paprika
- 1/8 cup onion powder
- 1/8 cup granulated garlic
- 1/8 cup kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tbs cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tbs black pepper
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 4 cups Hickory wood chips soaked
- -In a medium sized bowl combine all of the spices.
- -Remove the chicken from any wrapping, rinse well and dry. Place the chicken in a baking dish and rub it with the spice mixture. Marinate the chicken for 6 to 12 hours.
- -Preheat a grill on medium low or about 200 degrees.
- -Using aluminum foil, make a "pan" with 2 inch sides. It should be just large enough for the chicken to sit. Place it on the coolest side of the grill away from the coals.
- -Throw the soaked chips on the hot coals about 1/2 cup at a time and keep the smoke going by adjusting the dampers on your grill. Brush with the vinegar to moisten.
- -Smoke the chicken for about 3 hours, while keeping the temperature around 200 degrees.
- -Allow it to rest for about 1/2 an hour and "pull" the meat with two forks.
Tangy, sweet and smoky chicken that is way better than anything you’ll get in a restaurant. This recipe shows you just how easy it is. It’s cooked low and slow so all you have to do is put wood on the fire!