Learn how to make a delicious chicken mousse appetizer from poached chicken and mushrooms. Perfect for a rustic dinner party.
Smoked Chicken Mushroom Mousse
- 4 medium Poached Chicken Thighs cooled
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 medium Ciabatta Loaf sliced and toasted
- 2 cups Wild Mushrooms chopped
- 1 medium Shallot chopped
- 1 handful Thyme chopped
- 1/2 cup Dry White Wine
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Create Mushroom Duxelles:
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium-low heat.
- Add mushrooms and stir through.
- Add shallot and thyme. Saute for 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked down.
- Deglaze with white wine and scrape up any flavorful bits from the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat.
- Place chicken thighs, mushroom duxelles, liquid smoke, and salt & pepper into a food processor. Process until broken down into a fine paste.
- Add about 1/4 Cup of the cream to the mixture and process. Drizzle more cream through the top of the processor as it mixes. Mix until it reaches a mousse-like consistency-- light but will firmly stand on a spoon.
- Spread onto ciabatta bread. Garnish with fresh thyme and serve.
Chef’s Note: Chicken breasts can be substituted if dark meat is not your best. I personally would not make it with white meat.