Easy and delicious vegetarian dish with the added protein punch of black beans. Great summer time burger replacement. Kids love this one too….
Empanadas are a delicious stuffed Latin-style pastry. This empanada is made with chorizo and black beans. This is a great recipe for a fabulous historical food product. Empanadas have been made for centuries.
Created By: Chef Keith Snow
Black beans can be easily made using canned black beans resulting in a quick and great tasting side.
2 cans low sodium black beans
1 small hand full of cilantro with stems… maybe 3 stems worth
1/4 cup onions, minced
1/4 cup tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup bell peppers, minced
1 chipotle pepper, minced
kosher salt to taste
black pepper to taste
1. Saute onions and peppers for 3 minutes over medium heat, then add beans and tomatoes.
2. Add cilantro and chipotle and cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
Sofrito is a condiment that is made by cooking bell peppers, onions, tomatoes and other spices together in a pot until it is very soft and well broken down. Each Latin cook has their own version of sofrito, I suggest cooking a big batch, then freezing it in small 1 cup portions for later use.
Created by: Chef Keith Snow
1 cup baby spinach leaves (or any other green)
1 egg white
1/4 cup tomato, diced
1/4 cup Bush’s black beans (canned – drained and rinsed)
1 tbsp grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp salsa 1 whole wheat tortilla or lo-carb tortilla
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix the egg and egg white and scramble them quickly in a small frying pan. Fold in all the other ingredients. Place this mixture in the middle of the tortilla. Wrap the two sides over tightly and place the roll, seam side down, on a lightly oiled cookie sheet.
3. Bake at 350 for about 6 minutes until the tortilla is crisp and the filling is heated through. Serve with a green salad and/or tomatoes tossed in a light vinaigrette. [/private]
Created by: Chef Keith Snow
Description: This classic beef stew is flavored with the taste of Mexico with chipotle peppers, cloves and cumin.
1 whole onion
1 bunch cilantro
4 pieces cloves
1 tablespoons cumin seeds
1 piece chipotle pepper
3 pounds chuck roast, cut into large chunks or left whole
2 large carrots, peeled and cut in large pieces
1 large onion, cut into large pieces
1 can organic black beans, low sodium
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cups bacon fat or oil
1/4 cups tomato paste
6 cups beef broth
sour cream for garnish
1. In a large pot over medium heat, add 1 onion diced and bacon fat or oil. Cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add cumin, cloves, chipotle pepper, tomato paste. Cook for two minutes. Add beef broth and beef.
3. Cover tightly, reduce heat to low. Cook for 3 hours.
Chef’s Note: Thicken sauce with the addition of a slurry: 5 tbs corn starch mixed with 5 tbs water. When boiled, it will thicken. Serve with rice or potatoes. Carrots are optional.[/private]