Created By: Keith’s Mother in law
This potato salad is my mother-in-law’s recipe, we call her Omi. This recipe is always the star of any party, picnic or meal it is a part of. Chef Keith Snow demonstrates how to make this German potato salad in this short video.
10 medium Red skin potatoes
1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Pure or light olive oil
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1 bunch Fresh minced chives
1. Place the potatoes with skins on in a steamer. Steam until just fork tender. Over cooking at this step will cause you to start over. They can not be too soft.
2. After you determine the potatoes will yield slightly to the fork, turn off the stove and leave lid open a bit and allow to cool under steam source for 1 hour.
3. After the hour is up, peel the skins off and slice potatoes into 1/4 inch slices. some will break, that’s ok.
4. Place in a non-reactive bowl (ceramic is best) then add chives, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Toss well.
5. Let marinade, tossing every 30 minutes at room temperature for 1 hour. (longer if you have time) Enjoy.
Chef’s Note: Omi uses a spice mix called Aromat, by Knorr, it comes in a little yellow spice container. It does add a special flavor but contains MSG so I prefer to omit it. She also uses corn oil in the recipe but I replace with light olive oil.