Steak Au Poivre is so popular in restaurants and here we take the mystery away and show you how easy it is to prepare in your own home. Try this for your next dinner party or just treat yourself anytime.
2 lbs Beef tenderloin trimmed
1/4 cup whole black peppercorn cracked
3 tbs olive oil
2 medium shallots chopped
3/4 cup brandy
1 1/2 cup beef broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt to taste
1. Season both sides of steaks with salt.
2. Grind peppercorns to a course grind.
3. Coat one side of each steak with crushed peppercorns. Set aside.
4. In a large pan heat olive oil over medium high heat.
5. Sear the steaks with peppercorn sides down.
6. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes on each side.
7. Remove steaks from pan and place on a baking sheet, pepper side up.
8. Place steaks in a pre-heated 350 degree oven.
9. Bake for 7 – 10 minutes or until desired temperature is reached.
10. To the saute pan, add the chopped shallots and cook for a minute.
11. deglaze with brandy (be careful brandy is flammable).
12. Scrape all the bits of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
13. Let brandy reduce by 1/3 and add beef broth and reduce by 1/2.
14. Add cream and reduce again by 1/2. Season to taste.
15. Remove steaks from oven and allow to rest, 5-7 minutes. Smother steaks with sauce and serve.