Spinach Bacon Cakes
created by: Chef Keith Snow
These savory spinach cakes are easy to make and taste amazingly delicious.
- 4 tbs EVOO
- 4 green onions, sliced finely
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces fresh organic baby spinach leaves
- 3-4 strips precooked bacon, drained, chopped up (use store bought pre-cooked or cook yourself)
- 3 large farm-fresh eggs
- 3/4 shredded Parmesan cheese (Romano works too !)
- pinch nutmeg, fresh please
- 1/2 cup dehydrated potato flakes
- kosher salt and pepper to taste (careful, both cheese & bacon have salt)
- butter and more grated cheese as garnish
- In a large skillet over medium heat add oil, green onions and garlic, cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook tossing often until it’s wilted..but not cooked to death-just wilted.
- Toss in bacon and cook for a few minutes, remove skillet from heat.
- In a large work bowl add eggs, cheese, salt pepper and nutmeg, whisk together.
- Add potato flakes and use a spatular or wooden spoon potatoes into the egg mixture.
- Add contents of the skillet, mix very well.
- In the same skillet over medium low heat add some butter, then plop 1/2 cup balls of the final mixture into the skillet…cook slowly to let a crust form on the bottom. Use a few spoons to shape them into cakes…think crab cakes !
- Flip and brown on the other side.
- Serve with a pat of butter and sprinkle of grated cheese…..YUM!
Chef’s Note: These are pretty sticky and messy, they do not have to be perfect cakes. Just shape them best you can; the goal is to have them nicely browned on each side.