A spice roasted goose served with a rich red wine sage and prune gravy is experience to behold. It’s not very complicated so follow along below and you will be having one of the most festive Christmas dinners you will lever remember.
Spice Roasted Christmas Goose
- 1 tbs fennel seed
- 1 tbs coriander seed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 1 orange zested, cut in half
- 2 shallots peeled, sliced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Room temperature goose rinsed well in cold water, inside and out, patted dry, giblets and neck removed.
- 2 large carrots peeled
- 1 large rutabaga gold..not purple white
- 1 large onion peeled and quartered
- 3 cups cabernet sauvignon
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 5 pitted prunes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbs butter
- Toast fennel and coriander in dry skillet over medium heat, allow to cool, then pulverize or use spice grinder.
- To a small bowl add orange zest, toasted spices, cinnamon, clove, salt and oil, mix until a wet paste forms.
- Take a sharp knife and score the goose in a tight criss cross pattern, should look like a checkered pattern, do not cut thru to flesh, just skin/fat layer.
- Rub goose all over with the spice paste making sure to rub into the fat.
- Add cut oranges and shallots in the goose cavity then place goose in roasting pan on top of carrot and rutabaga and onion, place in pre-heated 375 degree oven, cook until internal temp is 170 juices should run clear from legs when pierced with knife tip.
- Cover goose with foil then kitchen towels and allow to rest, reserve vegetables to serve along side. SAve rendered fat for later use....great to cook potatoes in!
- In a 1 quart sauce pan add sage, wine and prunes, bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer...allow wine to evaporate or reduce b 50%...to about 1.5 cups. Place mixture into blender or Vitamix, process until smooth.
- In the same sauce pot add back the wine/prune mixture and chicken stock, boil, then reduce to low, cook for 20 minutes then thicken using a 50-50 ration of corn starch to cold water..season w salt and pepper, turn off whisk in butter before serving.
- Carve goose, serve with sage, wine and prune gravy and roasted vegetables along with anything else you like.