This simple bread will become a favorite for your family too…..MAKE SOME!
- 12 ounces bread flour
- 5 ounces whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup organic yellow flax seeds
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 12 ounces purified water
- a few tbs coarse yellow cornmeal
- Add all ingredients to a large work bowl…except cornmeal, use a wooden spoon or your hands and mix well until a loose, wet dough forms. Cover tightly with plastic and let sit room temperature for 15 hours.
- After 15 hours, turn dough out on your lightly floured surface, turn it over onto itself a few times rotating each time and cover with clean kitchen towel and let rest 15 minutes.
- Dust your hand with flour and create a ball shape with dough with seam on bottom, make sure there are no air bubbles. the skin should be rather tight if you fold under a few times while stretching it.
- Drop dough seam side down on the right 50% of a tea towel that has been dusted with half the cornmeal.
- Dust top with remaining cornmeal then cover with tea towel and let sit 2.5 hours.
- In the mean time, place a large dutch oven with cover on in the oven and preheat to 450 degrees.
- Remove pot from oven when oven reaches 450 and the dough has risen 2.5 hours.
- Carefully invert dough on it’s top in the tea towel, then dump it seam side down into the pot.
- Cover and place into the oven for 30 minutes. Remove lid and cool additional 15 minutes to allow top to brown. Remove from oven to a rack so the bread has good air circulation.
- Wait until it’s completely cooled before slicing.