Here is another super simple yet totally delicious soup; Roasted Mushroom Bisque w Sherry. This mushroom soup used very simple techniques and it results in soup with a really “mushroomy” taste and creamy, luxurious mouthfeel.
Roasted Mushroom Bisque w Sherry
- 1 oz dry porcini or crimini or shitake mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 lb crimini mushrooms washed and patted dry, DO NOT REMOVE STEMS, toss in oil and season with S&P
- 4 tbs butter or 4 tbs EVOO
- 1/2 cups diced shallots or white onion
- 1/4 cup diced organic carrot
- 1/4 diced organic celery
- 15 ounces dry aged Spanish sherry....NO COOKING WINE DUDE !
- 1.5 quarts homemade or organic chicken stock
- couple pieces of fresh thyme branches...must be tender not woody
- 1/4 cup organic heavy cream I like Organic Valley
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper or white pepper to taste
- In a small bowl add dried shrooms and boiling water, cover to let stand at least 30 minutes
- In preheated 375 degree oven add mushrooms and roast for 35 minutes or until starting to brown a good bit
- In large soup pot over medium high heat add EVOO or butter, then add vegetables.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until they start to caramelize slightly, stir often.
- De-glaze pot with sherry...stir for 30 seconds then add roasted mushrooms, re-hydrated mushrooms and water, chicken stock. Cook for 35 minutes, then allow to cool for for 30 minutes. Add cream, then process soup until it's very smooth. If not smooth, press liquid thru fine mesh strainer.
- Re-heat soup, adjust for seasoning, then serve, garnish with fresh chives.