This simple sauce has made more people smile then some of the most time consuming technically complex sauces in the culinary world. With just a few simple ingredients, this sauce is easy to prepare and can be made in mere minutes. Red wine butter sauce is the perfect compliment to grilled meats or even wild game.
- 1 shallot, minced finely
- 1 garlic clove, minced finely
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups good quality wine such as merlot, cabernet or similar
- 1 cup good quality beef stock, preferably homemade
- salt and pepper to taste
- herbs such as parsley or thyme
- In a small sauce pot over medium heat add 3 tbs butter, reserve the rest in the fridge so butter stays cold.
- Add shallots and garlic, sweat the vegetables without adding color, without burning…..VERY important.
- Once they are starting to go translucent, just a few minutes, add wine, use a whisk and scrape up and “stuff” that is stuck on the bottom of the pot….let wine come to boil and reduce (uncovered) until the wine is syrupy and thick, about 20 minutes or so…depending on your stove.
- Once wine is syrupy add beef stock, add any herbs, and season lightly with salt and pepper, continue boiling uncovered until the sauce reduces to about 1/2 cup of volume, it should not be too runny.
- Turn off heat, use whisk to add remaining cold butter to sauce a little at a time. Adjust seasoning ….taste for salt and pepper…..if it tastes good, strain and use over your grilled meats.