Red Chili Braised Pork
created by: Chef Keith Snow
This simple dish turns rather tough country style pork ribs into a luscious, tender and flavorful meal. Simple dried chillies and tomatoes are the base for a very rich and tangy sauce.
- 1/2 cup lard
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 dried red New Mexico Chilies, re-hydrated in hot water for 20 minutes then drained
- 1 15 ounce can tomatoes and their juice
- 1 tbs oregano
- 2 lbs country style pork ribs, either bone in or boneless
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large dutch oven placed over medium high heat add lard, onions and garlic, saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Place pork into the dutch oven and brown for 10-15 minutes, season with salt and pepper.
- Place onions and garlic into a stand blender, add salt, pepper, chilies and tomatoes, process until smooth, set aside.
- Take contents of blender and pour over pork, reduce heat to low and cover.
- Cook this for about 2 hours or until pork is easily fork tender.
Chef’s Note: As with most of my recipes I don’t provide salt and pepper measurements, this is for you to figure out. Also, garnishing this with fresh lime juice, cilantro and Mexican crumbling cheese is a nice addition.