Indian food is terrific on so many level. Indian food can vary based on the use of spices and yogurt,how prevalent vegetables are in most dishes as well as the cooking vessel used.
Here is a simple onion and tomato chutney you can make at home using simple techniques. The only ingredient here that may be a tad difficult to find is urad dal, a type of legume. I can be found at any spice store, online or in a well-stocked grocery megamart or wholeFoods.
- 3 teaspoons coconut oil
- 3 large tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 large onion, chopped roughly
- 2 cayenne chillies or similar
- 1 inch piece of peeled ginger chopped
- kosher Salt to taste
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Heat oil in heavy pot over medium, add everything but tomatoes.
- Cook this mixture about 2-3 minutes or until very fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, cook for 10 minutes stirring often
- Allow to cool, then process into a coarse paste like mixture.