In this recipe I teach how to make and onion and bacon gratin or casserole. This dish uses readily available ingredients but does require some time. The flavor of this is perfect for the Christmas season, festive, rich, filling-all perfect attributes for a holiday side dish.
Onion and Bacon Gratin-Casserole
- 2 lbs sweet onion peeled and cut into wedges thru the poles...or top to bottom
- 2 tbs olive oil
- salt and tiny pinch white pepper
- 5 slices good bacon diced
- 2 tbs AP flour
- 2 tbs good butter
- 1 cup organic heavy cream
- scant pinch nutmeg
- scant pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 dry white wine such as sauvignon blanc or chablis
- 3 tbs chicken broth
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 ounces Comte Appenzeller or Gruyere cheese, shredded
- preheat oven to 375 degrees
- toss onions in oil, salt and pepper, place in baking dish and in the oven
- every 15 minutes toss onions to prevent burning and encourage even cooking, cook 45-60 minutes or until well cooked, soft and translucent
- Make Bechamel Sauce
- In sauce pot over medium heat add butter and flour, whisk well and cook for 2 minutes
- add cream, wine, chicken stock, salt, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg.
- continue whisking until the sauce thickens slightly, be careful not to boil over..reduce heat to low.
- Pour sauce over onions, add grated parmesan and shredded cheese. PLace under the broiler for a few minutes being VERY careful not to burn it.