This is a pretty basic recipe for meatloaf that can warm up the coldest evening. The mushroom gravy is rather rich as it contains sour cream and roasted mushrooms and yet it is not heavy, filing yes, heavy no.
Making Meatloaf With Mushroom Gravy
- 2 tbs beef tallow or olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup minced carrot
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
- 2 tbs red wine cabernet works nicely
- 1 lb ground buffalo
- 1 lb ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbs parmesan cheese
- 1 egg yolk beaten
- 1/2 oz re-hydrated dried mushrooms in 1 cup boiling water-do this in blender with lid on
- 8 oz fresh crimini mushrooms roasted-then half are sliced and reserved, half are added to blender with rehydrated mushrooms to get pureed.
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cup beef stock
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs fresh thyme minced
- 2 tbs potato flakes to thicken slightly
- Make Meat
- Add fat to a dutch oven or large sauce pot, then add vegetables, cook stirring often untill slightly caramelized, deglaze with the wine.
- Add this mixture to a large work bowl with meat, cheese, egg yolk, salt n pepper, mix well.
- If making meatballs, form meat into golf ball sized balls, if making a loaf use a greased loaf pan or free-form mold into a greased baking dish.
- Cook meat in 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes, do not dry out the meat by cooking too long.
- Make Sauce:
- In sauce pot heat a little more oil, then cook onion and garlic, add sliced mushrooms, pureed mushrooms, stock, minced thyme, sour cream..heat to simmer....season with worcestershire sauce, adjust seasoning and thickness using potato flakes.
- Serve meat with the sauce...garnish with fresh herbs.