Eating healthy doesn’t mean you have to forfeit flavor. This recipe gives you all you need in a breakfast, plenty of low fat protein, iron and many other nutrient from the green spinach and some cheese for calcium.
All of these flavors combined make for a delicious start to the day.
8 large egg whites poached
4 whole English Muffins toasted
4 ounces turkey breakfast sausage cooked
4 cups raw spinach steamed
4 ounces part skim ricotta cheese
4 ounces cheddar cheese sliced
black pepper freshly ground
1. Poach the egg white in simmering water until fully cooked, about 3-4 minutes
2. Toast the muffin until golden brown.
3. Cook the turkey in the oven on a baking pan for about 20 minutes or until done.
4. Lay the muffin down on a plate, place a small spoonful of ricotta on top, then spinach, top that with the sausage then the egg and finally the sliced cheddar.
5. Place the Benedicts under a broiler to melt the cheese and serve.
Chef’s Notes: A few tablespoons of white vinegar in the poaching water will help the egg white to stay together.