Grits n Greens is classic Southern style food. Earthy, filling and delicious. Simple ingredients and easy techniques make this one a snap. Perfect as main course, side dish or even a breakfast….a farm-fresh poaches egg on top would be perfect.
OPTION: Fry thick cut bacon ahead of time then chop, use reserved grease to saute onions and garlic.
- 1 large onion, minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup lard or coconut oil
- 2 cups yellow stone ground corn meal ( get the good stuff please )
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 lb greens, sliced up in thin ribbons
- 2 farm-fresh eggs, beaten
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Romano or Parmesan, preferably US made
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- In a large pot with a tight fitting lid add greens, vinegar and 1.5 cups water, bring to boil, then reduce to simmer, cover and cook 25 minutes, drain well
- In dutch oven over medium heat add lard or oil then saute onions and garlic for about 15 minutes until they start to brown.
- Add water and cornmeal, reduce heat and stir often until grits are thick and cooked.
- Dump grits into a large work bowl, add cooked greens, eggs, cheese then mix well.
- Dump into large greased casserole, cook for 25 minutes in pre-heated 400 degree oven.