Banana peppers are very abundant in the summer and fall months and there’s nothing better to stuff them with than sweet fennel sausage.Covered with some home canned tomatoes, fresh basil and Parmesan cheese and you’ve got a great quick dinner on the table in about an hour.
Created by: Chef Keith Snow
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
18 large banana peppers cored
2 lbs good Italian sausage
2 tbs fennel seeds
32 ounces canned tomatoes
3 tbs garlic sliced
1/2 cup white onion chopped
1/2 cup basil leaves chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1. In a large bowl add the fennel seeds to the sausage and mix thoroughly.
2. Stuff the peppers with the raw sausage and place on a baking sheet. Bake the peppers in a 400-degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until the peppers begin to brown.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Cook the onions and garlic for about 2 minutes and then add the tomatoes. Gently crush the tomatoes with a spoon so they break down and release their juices.
4. Season with salt and pepper and add the basil. Remove from the heat. Place the peppers in a baking dish top with the sauce and the cheese and bake for 7-10 more minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and serve.[/private]