Created by: Chef Keith Snow
Active Time: 20
Total Time: 40
Recommended Beverage: Pinot Noir
A delicious and earthy wild mushroom soup made with crimini and shitake mushrooms and fresh thyme.
2 cups wild mushrooms sliced
1/4 cup white onion diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 cup organic celery minced
1/4 cup white wine
1 qt organic chicken stock
2 tbs fresh thyme chopped
1/2 cup organic heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and celery and stir through to release the flavors, 2-3 minutes. Season with pinches of salt and pepper.
2. Add the mushrooms to the pan. Re-season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes, until mushrooms are nicely caramelized.
3. Carefully pour the white wine into the pan to deglaze – use a spatula to scrape up all the caramelized bits. Allow to reduce by 75%.
4. Add the fresh thyme to the mushrooms and stir through, then add the chicken broth and cream. Re-season with salt and pepper.
5. Cover and allow to come up to a simmer.
6. Puree with a blender (a stick blender is easiest). Taste and re-season, if desired.
7. Garnish with fresh chives and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Chef’s Notes: Fresh thyme and mushrooms go together very well! This soup, served with a tossed salad and scrambled eggs, would make a delicious lunch. Check out our organic dried mushrooms in the Harvest Eating store.[/private]