Created by: Chef Keith Snow
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Recommended Beverage: Riesling
Making ravioli at home can be fun for the whole family. Using Fresh organic spinach in the pasta and the filling wallops a powerful nutrient punch. Great with just a little brown butter and Parmesan cheese.
1 recipe spinach pasta
1 lb ricotta cheese
1 1/2 lbs spinach steamed, cooled and chopped
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated fine
1/2 tsp nutmeg fresh grated
1 medium shallot chopped
1 pinch crushed red pepper
1 large egg beaten
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl combine the ricotta, spinach, Parmesan, nutmeg, shallot, pepper flakes, salt, pepper and 2 of the eggs, mix this well and season to taste.
2. Roll out your pasta sheets using a pasta machine or a rolling pin if you have no machine.
3. To assemble: Place one tablespoons of the filling in a 3×3 inch square piece of spinach pasta and brush edges with egg wash. Top with another 3×3 inch square of pasta. Make sure to purge the ravioli of air by placing it between your hands and gently compress the air out. Crimp the edges using a fork.
4. Now the ravioli are ready to cook. Place a few of the ravioli in a large pot of boiling salted water. Cook for about three minutes and remove. Place them in a bowl of ice water. Repeat this process. Tip: Do not place too many ravioli in the water at one time. The water should never stop boiling.
5. The ravioli can now be reheated quickly in some water or baked with a sauce and topped with cheese.