One of the 5 mother sauces, this basic sauce can be used in so many dishes to add consistency or flavor.
Created by: Chef Keith Snow
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 5 hour
Servings: 2 cups
3 lbs veal or beef bones
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 large onion quartered
1 large garlic bulb halved
2 ribs celery cut in 1-inch chunks
2 medium carrots cut in 1-inch chunks
1 bunch fresh thyme
1 cup red wine
2 1/2 quarts water
2 whole bay leaves
10 whole black peppercorn
3 tbs butter softened
3 tbs flour
1. In a roasting pan in a 350-degree oven. Cook the bones for about 1 hour or until brown.
2. Add the tomato paste and vegetables and continue to cook for an additional ten minutes. Deglaze the pan with the wine.
3. Transfer the mixture to a large stockpot and add the water, peppercorns, bay leaf and thyme.
4. Bring the stock to a simmer slowly over low heat. Cook for about 4 hours or until the flavor is desirable.
5. In a bowl mix the butter and flour until smooth. Add this to the stock while whisking.
6. Cook the sauce for an additional 10 minutes. Strain and serve.