The warmth of this dish is not only felt by having the oven on for 4 hours it’s also when you eat these delicious ribs with some whipped potatoes. You feel warm all over.
3 lbs boneless beef short ribs
2 medium carrots rough chopped
2 ribs celery rough chopped
2 medium white onion rough chopped
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 qt beef broth
2 whole bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 cup red wine
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbs paprika
1 head garlic cut in half
3 tbs olive oil
1. Season the beef short ribs with salt, pepper and paprika. Add 1/2 amount of olive oil and sear in a large heavy bottomed roasting pan over medium high heat, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove short ribs from the pan after searing both sides.
2. Continuing on medium high heat, add remaining olive oil and all vegetables and garlic to the roasting pan. Add fresh thyme, bay leaves and saute for 2 minutes stirring continuously.
3. Add tomato paste and continue to cook on medium high heat while stirring. Add red wine and beef broth and bring to a simmer.
4. Add reserved short ribs to simmering liquid. Cover and place in a 275-degree preheated oven for 3 hours.
5. Remove from oven. Strain beef and vegetables from liquid, reduce the liquid by simmering until a desired thickness is achieved and serve.