This German specialty is very easy to make, use basic ingredients and is very popular throughout Germany. My version does not use caraway seeds.
- 1/2 cup lard, melted
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 tart apple, cored and diced (must be a firm, tart apple…not a Macintosh)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 large red cabbage, cored and shredded
- kosher salt
- 2 tbs AP flour
- PLace a large heavy bottomed pot with tight fitting lid over medium high heat
- Add lard, onions, sugar, salt, saute until onions just start to brown, add apples, bay leaf and continue cooking ten minutes stirring often.
- Add water, vinegar and cabbage, turn heat down to low and mix well, cover and let cook 1 hour.
- Stir…….every 20 minutes or so
- Stir….did you sir it??
- Once cabbage is tender and soft, make sure it is well seasoned with salt, sprinkle flour and mix well to combine, serve with pork!