This BBQ sauce is quite simple to make yet quite complicated in flavor. The blackberries shine with an amazing flavor profile while dark porter, chipotle and green bell pepper add flavor notes that only make this sauce that much more interesting. Perfect to use on beef, pork or chicken.
Blackberry Porter BBQ Sauce
- 1 small yellow onion minced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 stick organic butter
- 2 tbs evoo
- 1/2 c minced green bell pepper
- 1 or 2 chipotle pepper in Adobo sauce minced-if you like hot add more!
- 1/2 c organic ketchup
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup tamarind paste substitute raisins
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp fresh toasted and ground cumin
- 2-1/2 tbs kosher salt
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup porter
- In a sauce pot over medium heat add 1 lb blackberries, cover and cook for 25 minutes, remove from heat then mash or blend. Then strain out seeds set aside the resulting blackberry puree.
- While blackberry puree cools place another sauce pot over medium heat, add oil, butter, onions, garlic, green pepper, cook stirring often for 15 minutes.
- Add chipotle pepper, ketchup, sugar, tamarind paste, coriander, cumin, salt vinegar, bring to simmer, cook for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for twenty minutes then stir in beer, mix well.
- I like to blend mine to make it smooth...this is up to you....country style or smooth.
- Chef's Note: This sauce is WAAAAAY better if allowed to sit in the refrigerator overnight.