A simple recipe for potato salad that produces a pleasing chunky texture that is not acidic or slimy like most potato salads. This has not mustard, no eggs, no-frills. Just potatoes, mayo, green onions, and salt and pepper.
Baked Potato Salad
- 6 large Russet potatos
- 2 tblsp light oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 large green onion, minced
- 2 tsp kosher salt-to taste
- 2 tblsp sour cream optional
- 1-In large work bowl add potatoes, salt & oil, toss well to coat potatoes in oil and salt.
- 2-Pierce potatoes with tip of a knife a few times to release build up steam.
- 3-Place on sheet tray and into the oven for 90 minutes.
- 4-After 90 minutes, turn off oven and open door but let potatoes cool on the sheet tray at least 30 minutes or until they can be handled and they feel cool.
- 5-Slice potatoes lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out flesh and place into a clean bowl, it should be very firm since it has cooled off. If it feel soft, let them cool longer. Save potatoes skins for snacking or making potato sins!
- 6-In another bowl whisk up mayo, salt, pepper, green onions or chives and sour cream if using. Whisk well, then slowly add to potatoes tossing well and being careful to not smash up the chunks.
- 7-Adjust seasoning with salt & pepper to taste…you can add more mayo too if need be.