Try this tasty twist on the always favorite mashed potatoes side dish. Simple way to add some healthy and tasty green asparagus to your meals.
Asparagus Mashed Potatoes
Author: Chef Keith Snow
Recipe type: side
- 6 russet potatoes, peeled, halved
- 1 small bunch asparagus tipped (cut off top 2 inches, save rest for soup)
- 1 stick real butter
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 12 oz of heavy cream
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped herbs, your choice, (parsley, thyme work well)
- kosher salt & pepper to taste
- Steam potatoes till tender, remove, then steam asparagus tips, cook 5 minutes, drain and leave in pot with cover on.
- In a small saucepan, add cream, butter and garlic, and herbs bring to simmer, being careful NOT to let it boil over!!!
- Add cream to cooked potatoes and mash with hand masher, season with salt & pepper, add cooked asparagus and serve.
- Cooks note: Do not over-cook asparagus tips, they should be a little crisp. Save asparagus stems for soup.