Today I discuss a dish that I grew up eating at holiday time; Mom’s Sausage Apple Stuffing!
This is a terrific recipe, it’s super easy to make and does not require any special ingredients aside from sweet Italian sausage.
The combination of those flavorful sausages, apples, and sage end up creating a wonderful stuffing. IMO much better than a boxed stuffing mix!
The fennel in real Italian sausage and the sage play off the sweetness of the apple and overall moistness of the stuffing to create something that is not just a plate filler, but something to behold.
To support this show become a Harvest Eating Foodie
415-Mom's Sausage Apple Stuffing
- Moms Sausage Apple Stuffing
- 8 tbs butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 3-4 SweItalianian sausages casings removed
- 3 medium tart apples like Granny Smith, cored
- 2 cups turkey or chicken stock or more...it's your stuffing
- 1 about 8 cups of good bread cut into 1/2 cubes, toasted
- 2 tsp rubbed sage
- 1-2 sage leaves minced
- Season with salt and pepper
- Melt butter in large pot, add vegetables, cook 10 minutes or until cooked through
- Add sausage, cook stirring often until well browned, add apples.
- Cook apples 5-10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir well, adjust seasoning
- Place in a preheated 350-degree oven for 25 minutes.