Simple recipe for ham n potato casserole with very few ingredients. No cheese in this one, keep it simple for best results.
361-Ham n Potato Casserole
- 1 large onion sliced
- 3 tbs butter
- salt n pepper to taste
- 2 tbs AP flour
- 5 cups whole milk
- 1/4 tsp dry thyme
- scant pinch ground cloves
- 2 cups diced smooked ham
- 8 medium russet potatoes washed, peeled, sliced into thin even slices
- In a pot over medium high heat add onions and butter, cook for 5-7 minutes or until onions are just starting to brown a bit.
- Toss in flour, reduce heat to low, stire for 1 minute
- Add milk, thyme an cloves, bring to simmer, stir often as it thickens slightly.
- preheat oven to 325
- In a casserole layer potatoes, ham and milk mixture, reserving at leat half for the top layer.
- Season each layer with salt and pepper. Cover with foil, bake for 90 minutes but remove foil after 1 hour.
- Be sure potatoes are fully cooked. Allow this to cool at leat 30 minutes before serving.