Aloo Palak is a simple Indian dish of spinach, spices and potatoes. Rather simple but LOADED with flavor and color. Typical Indian spices like cumin, garahm masala, turmeric, cayenne, cinnamon, coriander etc. bring such great flavor to ordinarily bland spinach.
339-Aloo Palak-Indian Spiced Spinach w Potatoes
- 1 lb organic spinach leaves
- 2 tbs grapeseed or olive oil
- 1 tbs ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 1 medium onion finely minced
- 3 tbs ginger finely minced
- 4 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes2 tsp turmeric
- 3 gold potatoes steamed 15 minutes with skin on then peeled and cubed after allowing to cool
- In large pot with 1 cup water at the boil add spinach, press down to allow it to fit, toss often until just wilted...do not cook too long.
- Toss spinach and water into food processor or vitamix, process until smooth, set aside
- In a large pot or wok, add oil and all spices, cook for 2 minutes, then add onions, ginger and garlic.
- Cook onions and garlic for 10 minutes stirring often then add tomatoes and turmeric, cook 1 minute more.
- Add spinach mixture and stir to heat up spinach and combine with spices and aromatics.
- Add potatoes, warm them up and serve.
- Do not cover the pot as the spinach will tend to lose it's vibrant green color.