On today’s show I describe a simple puff pastry tart with root vegetables and a savory rosemary infused cream drizzle. This is a very easy dish that takes mere minutes to assemble yet presents like a fancy restaurant dish.
Perfect for a dinner party or impromptu brunch and the ingredients are available just about everywhere.
335-Root Vegetables On Puff Pastry with Rosemary Cream
- 1 package puff pastry thawed, use second pastry to make long 1/2 inch trimming to build up edges
- about 30 slices sweet potato
- about 30 slices golden rutabaga
- about 30 slices russet potatoes
- 1 egg beaten *optional
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 sprig rosemary or fresh thyme
- salt ans pepper to taste
- scant pinch nutmeg
- 1 tbs grated parmesan or romano cheese optional
- Add cream, herbs and nutmeg to small sauce pot, scald over medium heat, then reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper,
- Lay your puff pastry on a non-stick silicone mat that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Use egg wash to make a thin layer of "glue" around the entire tart, Take trimmed pieces of pastry and build an edge around entire tart, to help keep cream in.
- Using a mandoline, slice potato, turnip and sweet potato, arrange slices in an attractive way on top of the tart inside the edges, season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle reduced cream over root vegetables, about 3/4 cup of it, but do not make a mess.
- Bake at 350 until fork tender and puffed and slightly browned.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.