In nordic countries like Denmark, they LOVE rye bread. Rugbrod is a traditional sourdough rye bread loaded with craked rye, cracked whole wheat, sunflower, and flax seeds that has a nice dark color and a wonderful hearty flavor.
You’ll find similar bread in Germany also. I will be honest, this hearty style bread is NOT going to appeal to most kids or those who are accustomed to white bread. This is a whole different experience. Lovely tang, moist dense texture, and loads of flavor for me, this is nirvana.
I gave a half a loaf to a German chef I know, he LOVED it and said it reminded him of home, a great compliment for me as this dude can bake bread like a Parisian rock star!
Rugbrod Danish Seeded Sourdough Rye
- 3/4 c sunflower seeds, cracked
- 3/4 c golden flax seed
- 3/4 c whole wheat berries, cracked
- 3/4 c rye berries, cracked
- 2 tbs malt syrup
- 4-4-1/2 c waterk
- 1-1/2 c sourdough starter
- 3 c all purpose flour
- 3 c rye flour
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 3 tbs sauce darkerner (klitche nbouquet)
- To a large bowl add the first 7 ingredients, mix well, cover and let sit overnight in fridge or 8 hours room temp.
- After restting time, mix in the rest of the ingredients, stir well, cover and let sit 2 hours.
- Divide content to two greased standard loaf pans(8.5 x.4.5), smooth out the surface, cover and let rise another 2 hours.
- preheat oven to 365, bake 1 hour, remove to a cooling rack, wait at least 4 hours before tryign the bread.