This classic French dessert is very popular in Southern France where cherries are abundant and perfect. A very simple batter and assembly make this so easy and practical.
- 1 lb pitted organic cherries
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/3 cup almond or pecan meal
- 2 tbs all purpose flout ( or gluten free flour works here too)
- pinch salt
- the seeds from one vanilla bean or 1 tsp high-quality vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- butter for greasing skillet or pie pan
- light brown sugar for helping to form brulee crust underneath clafoutis
- In a large work bowl add eggs, vanilla and powdered sugar, whisk well to combine
- Whisk in nut meal, the flour, the cream, be sure it’s well combined
- Take your heat proof skillet of pie plate, butter well then dust with brown sugar to cover butter, dump out any extra.
- Pour 1/2 batter in the pan or pie plate, assemble pitted cherries, add remaining batter
- Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove and let rest 30 minutes before de panning.