Here is my amazing 2 onion burger jam. This stuff rocks, makes your burger experience simple amazing. It’s a combo of two types of sweet onions that are cooked low and slow until they caramelize, then some sugar is added along with fresh Thyme and cream. The result is a thick, sweet; savory onion jam that makes burgers very happy. If you like blue cheese this can be the perfect compliment to a blue cheese burger.
- 1 lare red onion, minced
- 2 large sweet onions, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs real butter
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar (substitute brown sugar or table sugar)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, leaves removed
- In a large dutch oven or pot over medium-low heat add oil, butter, onions, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook stirring often for at least 45 minutes to 1 hour…or as long as it takes you to make a very dark colored caramelized mixture. (heat cannot be too high…..low and slow) Can take 90 minutes….be patient..!
- Once mixture is very dark and starting to stick to bottom add vinegar, scrape up as much of the bits as you can, add cream and thyme, continue stirring until a thick golden brown beautiful texture is achieved. Re-season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay out jam on cookie sheet to cool, then you can store in fridge in tightly wrapped container.
- PLace on cooked burgers or even chicken or pork. Use room temperature, not cold.