Orzo is a throw back to the 70’s, it’s not seen on many menus and most people think it’s rice or have never heard of it. Hardly anybody cooks with it either.
I hope to convince you to give it a try because it’s great comfort food that is easy to prepare, versatile and of course, delicious.
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbs brined capers, chopped
- 3 tbs minced fresh flat leaf parsley
- 3/4 cup roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper juice
- 4 tbs evoo
- 1-1/2 c orzo pasta
- 2 cups chicken or veggie broth
- 1/4 cup Shallot/Chive brand Boursin Cheese
- salt ans pepper to taste
- In a shot pot with a tight fitting lid add oil over medium heat, once hot add shallots and garlic, sweat for 3 minutes.
- Add orzo, cook stirring frequently (or it will burn) for 8 minutes or until it’s well toasted.
- Add, peppers, juice, capers and stock, season with salt and pepper, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes until pasta is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Once cooked, stir in the Boursin cheese and2 tbs parsley, serve hot garnished with remaining parsley.