Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Recommended Beverage: Chianti
Created by: Chef Keith Snow
This dish is sure to become a favorite with family and friends. You can make them ahead of time and freeze them for that quick “fancy” dinner. Top them with your own sauce and make them unique. However you want, try this dish today.
2 lbs lean ground turkey
1/2 cup white onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup fresh breadcrumb
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 medium bay leaf
1 tsp black pepper freshly ground
1 tbs basil chopped
1 tsp fresh oregano chopped
6 ounces fresh Mozzarella sliced
1 recipe mushroom pink sauce
1 recipe spinach pasta rolled thin cut 4×4 inch squares
1. In a large pan, brown the ground turkey over medium low heat and then add the onions, garlic and bay leaf.
2. Allow the onions to cook until soft. Now add the oregano, basil, pepper, Parmesan cheese, and tomato. Adding the bread crumb a small amount at a time to form a loose filling.
3. set this aside to cool.
4. To assemble; roll three tablespoons of the filling in 4×4 squares of spinach pasta and brush with olive oil. place the rolled pasta in a stove top steamer and steam them for ten minutes. (optionally add bay leaf and whole allspice to the steaming water)
5. Place the pasta rolls in a baking dish. Spoon the sauce over the top and cover with the cheese.
6. Bake covered in a preheated 450 degree oven for 15 minutes.
7. As an option, brown the cheese under the broiler for an additional 5 five minutes. Allow the dish to rest for five to ten minutes.
Chef’s Notes: A substitute for the spinach pasta would be no-boil lasagna sheets, look for Barilla, they are quite good.[/private]