Banana peppers are very abundant in the summer and fall months and there’s nothing better to stuff them with than sweet fennel sausage.Covered with some home canned tomatoes, fresh basil and Parmesan cheese and you’ve got a great quick dinner on the table in about an hour….
Created by: Chef Keith Snow
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Recommended Beverage: Barolo
Learn to create an Italian delight – a calzone made from scratch, with tomato sauce, sausage, peppers and onions.
1 recipe pizza dough
1 lbs Italian sausage
2 cups onion sliced
2 cups green pepper sliced
1 tbs oregano, dried
1 lbs Mozzarella sliced 1 inch thick
1. In a large saute pan over medium heat, cook the sausage using about 1
tablespoon of the olive oil. cook until fat is rendered and the meat has
turned to a brown color about ten minutes. drain the meat and set aside
for later use.
2. In the same pan, place the olive oil, peppers, onions and oregano and cook
until soft about seven to ten minutes. Add the sausage back to the pan and
continue to cook another two minutes, set aside to cool.
3. On a floured work surface place the dough and with your finger tips flatten
by stretching and pressing to about 1/8 inch.
4. In the center of the dough place about two cups of the sausage and peppers
mixture topping with the sliced fresh mozzarella.
5. Fold the dough to form a semi-circle fold the edges together and crimp
make small slices on the top to allow for steam to release.
6. Brush with an egg wash and bake for twenty minutes in a 375 degree oven.[/private]