Like being in Miami, this Cuban Pork Dish is flavorful and certainly classic when accompanied by black beans. Use left-overs for pressed Cuban sandwiches!…
Created By: Chef Keith Snow
Beef kabaobs with yogurt and spices.
1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 pound boneless beef sirloin,
2 small red and/or green bell peppers
1. In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, soy sauce, lemon juice, ginger, cumin, and black pepper. Add the beef, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours.
2. Coat a grill rack with cooking spray. Preheat the grill. Thread the beef onto skewers, alternating with the bell peppers. Place the skewers on the grill rack and cook, turning to brown all sides, until no longer pink and a meat thermometer registers 145° for medium rare, 12 to 15 minutes.
Created by: Chef Keith Snow
This is a recipe for guacamole that can be done quickly with a great end result. Use for dips, salads and sandwiches. Guacamole recipes are a source of good natural fat for you and add to any meal or snack.
4 ripe avocados, peeled, seeded
1 tsp ground cumin
1 ripe, medium Roma tomato, seeded, diced
1/2 Cup minced sweet white onion
2 serrano chilies, seeded, minced
1/4 Cup chopped cilantro leaves
4 Tbsp fresh lime juice
Hot pepper sauce, sea salt, white pepper to taste
1. Cut avocado in large chunks and mash coarsely in large bowl with a fork. Add remaining ingredients and blend gently – leaving some small chunks is fine. Taste and adjust seasoning with more pepper sauce, salt and pepper if desired. [/private]
Created by: Chef Keith Snow
Active Time: 7 minutes
Total Time: 7 minutes
Recommended Beverage: Pinot Noir
The slight sourness of Meyer lemons kicks up the flavors of garlic and chickpeas in this hummus.
2 15 ounce cans garbonzo beans
2 cloves garlic chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp cumin
3 whole Meyer lemons
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp rosemary finely minced
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup Tahini paste
1. In a small sauce pot over low heat infuse oil with rosemary and garlic, cook for 3 minutes…do not brown the garlic.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients to a food processor, add oil mixture and process to a smooth paste.
Chef’s Notes: Enjoy with toasted pita bread, in a wrap with fresh sprouts, cheese chopped lettuce and your good to go.[/private]
Burritos are a great quick dinner and making them with lean ground turkey gives you the advantage of being low fat. Topped with your choice of salsa and condiments these burritos will soon become a family favorite….
[private]Created by: Chef Keith Snow
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Recommended Beverage: Beer
Chicken enchiladas are the quintessential Mexican comfort food. We make these with local goat cheese and homemade corn tortillas. Topped with an authentic red chile sauce they can’t be beat.
3 lbs chicken legs and thighs
1 tbs cumin
1 tbs coriander
1 tbs red chile powder
1 clove garlic chopped
1 tbs kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 cups enchilada sauce
12 whole corn tortillas
2/3 cup Jack cheese shredded
6 ounces local goat cheese
1. Start by mixing the spices together then applying it to the chicken with the fajita seasoning salt and pepper.
2. Place them in a 350 degree preheated oven and cook for 40 minutes or until the meat pulls away from the bone easily
3. When the chicken is done and has cooled enough to handle, pull the meat from the bones and set aside.
4. Neatly place a couple tablespoons full of chicken on one side of the tortilla and gently roll to make a tube. Place the tube in a baking dish, repeat as necessary.
5. Top with the enchilada sauce and cheeses. Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and serve [/private]