Easy and delicious vegetarian dish with the added protein punch of black beans. Great summer time burger replacement. Kids love this one too….
[private]Created by: Chef Keith Snow
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
Recommended Beverage: Merlot
This is a hearty vegetarian dish that is great in the Spring and Fall. When mushroom season is in your area be sure to gather as many as you can and try this dish.
2 1/2 cups milk
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 lb smoked gouda shredded
1/3 lb Parmesan cheese grated
4 medium shallots chopped
2 tbs garlic chopped
1 cup cornmeal
3 tbs butter
1 recipe mushroom ragout
1. In a large, deep, heavy bottom pan, combine milk, vegetable broth, shallots and garlic. Over medium high heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes uncovered.
2. Slowly pour in cornmeal while stirring. Continue to cook and stir over low heat, about 15 – 20 minutes.
3. While continuously stirring, slowly add cheeses and continue to cook for 5 minutes still stirring.
4. Prepare a sheet pan by spraying it with a vegetable spray. Pour the polenta onto the prepared pan. Allow to cool for 3 hour refrigerated.
5. Remove from refrigerator and cut into 4″x4″ squares. Spread softened butter onto top of each square of polenta.
6. Grill, buttered side down over medium heat, about 5 minutes. Grill on 1 side only.
7. Place on platter and top with mushroom ragout.
Chef’s Notes: I you don’t want to grill the polenta simply serve it directly from the pot.[/private]