This is a simple recipe, one that uses a basic fish stock and some aromatics, coconut milk and fresh cilantro. It works with any good firm-fleshed fish or even shrimp or scallops. It’s simple for home cooks and does not require complicated sauce making techniques….
[private]Created by: Chef Keith Snow
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Recommended Beverage: Rum punch
A slow braised chicken dish with sweet potatoes, green bell peppers, coconut milk and a spiced crust. Flavorful cilantro-scented broth turns into a rich sauce. Serve with seasonal vegetables and you have a great meal.
4 legs and thighs chicken skin on
1/2 cup flour
2 tbs cumin
2 tbs rubbed sage
to taste salt and pepper to taste
1 cup organic green pepper diced
1 cup onion diced
1 cup organic sweet potato 1 inch cubes
1 cup organic coconut milk
2 cups organic chicken broth
1 bunch fresh cilantro chopped
4 tbs pure olive oil
1. Add spices, salt and pepper to flour then dredge chicken parts in flour. Heat dutch oven over medium high heat, add oil. Saute chicken in heavy dutch oven until well-browned, roughly 10 minutes.
2. Add diced onion and bell pepper, season with a bit more salt and pepper, saute for additional 5 minutes.
3. Add chicken broth, coconut milk, potatoes and cilantro and cook covered for 30 minutes.
4. Remove chicken and thicken sauce with slurry as per video (equal parts cold water & cornstarch, mix well to make slurry), then add to hot sauce stirring to combine.
5. When thick enough, pour over chicken, garnish with cilantro, and enjoy![/private]