Created by: Chef Keith Snow
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 3 1/2 hours
Recommended Beverage: Milk
Coconut cream pie is a nostalgic dish for me. It’s the kind of pie that reminds me of summers growing up. I’ve made this one with as much coconut flavor as I could, so if you like coconut this one is for you.
[private Monthly Premium Member|Annual Premium Member|Lifetime]
6 large Graham crackers
5 tbs butter melted
2 tbs sugar
1/4 cup organic, unsweetened coconut flakes
1 cup whole milk
1 can coconut milk
5 large egg yolks
1/2 cup organic, unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup corn starch
2/3 cup sugar
1 pinch salt
FOR CREAM TOPPING
8 ounces heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract the good stuff!
1/3 cup organic, unsweetened coconut flakes
1. In a food processor place the graham cracker, sugar, butter and the first amount of coconut flakes, chop them until very fine.
2. Press mixture into a pie pan to form a crust. Bake in a 350-degree pre-heated oven for about 10-12 minutes.
3. In a heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium high heat combine the milk, coconut milk and coconut flakes from the second amount. Scald, do not boil.
4. In a non-reactive bowl beat the yolks, sugar and cornstarch until smooth and pale yellow.
5. Temper the eggs by adding the hot milk mixture 2 ounces at a time for about a total of 6 ounces. Be careful not to scramble the eggs with hot milk.
6. Pour the now tempered eggs back into the milk mixture and cook over medium-low heat while stirring for about 10 minutes or until it has thickened. Strain the mixture through a mesh strainer.
7. Pour this mixture into the pie shell and smooth to the edges. Place in the refrigerator for about 3 hours.
8. Make the cream topping by adding the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla extract in a large jar and with your immersion blender whip until stiff peaks are formed. Or use stand mixer.
9. Top pie with whipped cream and toasted coconut flakes[/private]