Created By: Chef Keith Snow
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes give or take
Slightly spicy cheddar cheese shortbread’s are a perfect snack with wine or soup or with fruits such as apples pears or figs. These go very well on a holiday table spread.
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper
8 ounces extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese, finely shredded
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1. Use a whisk and beat together butter, salt, black pepper, and cayenne until blended. Add shredded cheddar and flour and mix at low speed just until smooth.(Do not over mix).
2. Shape dough into round wrap in plastic wrap then chill for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
4. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4- to 1/8-inch-thick round.
5. Using 1 1/2- to 2-inch round cutter, cut out rounds and arrange 1 1/2 inches apart on baking sheets.
6. Bake cheddar shortbread until beginning to brown on edges, about 13 to 15 minutes. Cool on sheets 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.[/private]