Spinach Balls W Brown Butter And Parmesan Cheese
- 2 large bags frozen organic spinach leaves, thawed and squeezed out carefully to remove water
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3 farm fresh eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- grated nutmeg (fresh please
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- about 1 cup stale bread, chopped into 1/4 inch dice
- reserved cold butter for serving the spinach balls
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350
- In a large work bowl add spinach, ricotta, eggs, parmesan cheese.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat ad oil, onions and garlic, cook stirring often until just starting to turn golden in color. Turn off heat.
- Add bread and the onion and garlic mixture to ingredients in work bowl, season with salt and pepper, mix well.
- Form into balls the size of golf balls, place on sheet tray that is covered with parchment paper and either oiled or sprayed with a natural cooking spray. If mixture seems to wet use a bit of sifted AP flour or instant potatoes to tighten them up so balls can be formed.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until spinach balls are set and just firm.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat add reserved butter, (1/2 stick for 5 balls) once butter starts to foam add nutmeg spinach balls, toss in butter until you see butter just start to brown…NOT BURN…..
- Remove from skillet and transfer to serving plate….dust with good quality parmesan cheese.