[private]Created By: Chef Keith Snow
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 1/2 hours
Recommended Beverage: Cabernet Sauvignon
Pot roast is a heart warming meal. This recipe brings together grass-fed beef and a bounty of garden fresh vegetables.
3 1/2 lbs chuck roast
1 qt beef broth
12 whole peppercorns
2 cups red wine
1 white only leek sliced 1 inch
1 head garlic cut in half
3 sprigs thyme
2 tbs fennel seeds
2 large carrots sliced 1 inch
1 1/2 cups pear onions peeled
2 large Yukon potato peeled and diced 1 inch
2 ribs celery cut 1 inch pieces
2 medium parsnips peeled and cut 1 inch
salt and pepper to taste
3 whole bay leaves
1. In a large roasting pot place the roast in the center. Add beef stock, red wine, leek and garlic to the pot.
2. In a 6″x6″ piece of cheese cloth place peppercorns, thyme, fennel and bay leaves. Tie with butcher twine and Drop into the liquid.
3. Place pot on a stove top over medium heat bring it to a simmer. Cover and place in a 300 degree preheated oven. Cook for 3 hours.
4. Remove from oven and add vegetables. Re-cover and put back into oven. Cook for an additional hour.
5. Remove from oven and let roast rest in liquid for 20 minutes.
6. Remove beef and vegetables from pot and set aside.
7. Bring liquid to a simmer on medium high heat, skimming any excess fat. Simmer until thickened.
8. Top roast with gravy and serve.