Easy tomato soup kids love and tastes great with less sodium than the canned stuff!Can be made in under and hour and with the sophisticated aroma of Tarragon, even adults love this soup
Cream of Tomato Soup
Basic tomato soup recipe that can be made in under 20 minutes, perfect to dip a grilled cheese sandwich in.
Author: Chef Keith Snow
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes of good quality (imported or organic if possible)
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- ½ of 1 shallot onion, minced
- 2 tablespoon AP flour (all purpose)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh Tarragon or fresh basil (never dried)
- water on hand to adjust consistency if needed
- In a heavy bottomed pot, over medium high heat, add olive oil and saute onion, for a minute or so, do not brown.
- Add flour and stir to combine, cook for 1 minute
- Add tomatoes, cream and tarragon, bring to simmer, season with salt and pepper then puree with a stick blender or blender being very careful, if desired.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve with a good grilled cheese on whole wheat bread. (3 grams fiber minimum)